Thursday 4 July 2013

Decade in Characters Part 1 - Digital Painting

This post marks the beginning of a brand new series of blog posts that I am calling "Decade in Characters!".

I've always been interested in 20th Century zeitgeist and culture, including anything from music and film to fashion and subcultures, and I often find this interest influencing my own creative projects including my character designs, so I've decided to do a series of themed posts of characters based around specific decades. This will give me a chance to look further into a subject that I am already interested in and will also help me to improve my digital painting skills.

I've decided to kick things off with the 1950's! I'm a fan of the style of the era, and many of my favourite works of fiction including games (Fallout series) and films (Back To The Future, Grease) are set in the 50's or influenced by 50's culture, so I've had plenty of things to draw inspiration from.




I've saved my personal favourite for last. This picture was a first for me because I've never been great at drawing female characters, but I worked at it on paper and digitally and finally produced something that I'm very happy with. This is my favourite digital painting that I've produced to date.




Look out for more Decade in Characters posts in the near future. I'm thinking of doing the 70's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment